CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 11, 2008

We Ran for Vicki!



This Saturday we ran for Vicki at "Race for a Cure for Breast Cancer" 5K downtown Salt Lake. We headed out bright and early - leaving our homes at 6:30 a.m. The race was at 8:30 a.m. We anticipated a huge turnout. Everyone had warned us. We arrived with plenty of time to walk around, check out the boothes, get a few freebies, and use the por-a-potties before the race. With just a few minutes to spare we worked our way up to the front of the group. There were literally thousands of men, women, children, families, strollers, and people from all walks of life already lined up in the streets ready for the gun to go off. I'm guessing a solid two blocks were full of people running/walking the race. We nudged up near the front, and when the gun went off so did we. The sun was out, the breeze was brisk, and the run was incredible. I think this was my favorite 5k so far. It was electric. I felt like I could have kept going. It was so energizing to see how many people turned out and how many people were along the sides of the streets cheering us on. The finish line was right in the middle of the Gateway shops. Companies donated yummy fruit, water, and Great Harvest had wholesome bread slices for each of the runners. I'm not sure exactly what my race time was. Like last time I didn't see the clock when I ran through. Sara was around 5-10 seconds behind me, and she clocked at 26:19, so I'm guessing I came in around the same time as my last 5K. This time was better though. Everything about it was better. We were running with a purpose - for all the ladies we know and will come to know who have struggled with breast cancer or any kind of cancer for that matter. We ran for one very special lady in our lives - Vicki Poelman - an incredible sister, woman, leader, mother, wife, and compassionate service leader to everyone she meets. We love her dearly, and we are so thankful to know her. She is in our hearts and in our prayers - always!
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: